Current Zoom: 76%
Latest Community News
30th ANNUAL OSHWAL SPORTS DAY
7th, 8th & 15th December 2013
Venue: WESTCROFT LEISURE CENTRE WESTCROFT ROAD CARSHALTON SURREY SM5 2TG
Oshwal Centre Refurbishment
Biggest changes in 25 years!!
After almost 25 years of use our famous Assembly Halls are in need of updating and renovation. The Property Management Committee have been working on plans to refurbish our Halls. To find our all the details and the costs, click here.
Anand Yatra Details
starting from Lodge Lane(9.20am) to Waitrose, Totteridge to Odeon Cinema to Centre
starting from Bounds Green Stn (9.30am) to Southgate Stn to Cockfosters Stn to Centre
Till 7th March 2014 – Thank you to all the volunteers who have helped in 2013 with Anand Yatra
President's Message August 2013
It is mid-August and we have a bank holiday to look forward to. With Paryushan around the corner, our preparations are in hand in all 9 Areas.
A 4th Property for our Association!
Hopefully by now, you will have all heard that Oshwal Association of the UK is about to embark on the acquisition of a 4th Property for our Association - a Hall in Hounslow area. The SGM to approve this purchase is this Sunday 18th August at Oshwal Ekta Centre at 6pm. Notices have been sent to all member households and we look forward to seeing you all.
The property is a former Salvation Army Hall in the heart of Hounslow, ideally suited to the local area needs. It was being offered by sealed bids within a very tight deadline. We have carried out a professional valuation which valued the property at £500,000. There were seven interested parties who also bid for this property. I am pleased to inform members that our bid was successful at £520,000 and we have secured the property subject to contract and final approval by our members.
Oshwal Centre Assembly Hall Project
Following the SGM of 7th July the refurbishment project for the Assembly Halls has moved forward with tenders out to 4 independent contractors. We will have all the quotations in by the end of this month and the contracts will then be evaluated before being awarded. The Oshwal News Paryushan edition has a detailed article and financial breakdown together with artists images of the new look centre. Oshwal Centre is by far the best community centre of all the community organisations. The new look will bring our halls up to a standard that will offer unrivalled facilities and should see us through for another 20+ years.
What else is happening?
- Paryushan 2013 – Starts 2nd September
- Dhaja Dhin - 15th September
- Ayembil - 10th October to 19th October.
- Diwali at Oshwal Centre: Sunday 3rd November 2013. Chopada Pujan will be in the evening. We will require registration for Chopda Pujan so please confirm with the office. Further details on the Diwali programme will follow.
- Oshwal Ekta Centre Opening: The date is set, Sunday 10th November 2013. Please note the date in your diary.
The Directory Project
This is now well into the third stage of verification. I have had a number of calls asking me if we have received individual forms. I ask that you bear with us as there are over 500 replies to sort through as well as paper records. We are offering advertising space, which is selling fast; please visit the website for further details.
Right now we have some major fund raising needs. We need to raise funds for the refurbishment project and also for the potential new property in Hounslow. Your contributions, whatever the sum will go a long way towards meeting our fund raising goals. Below are a few of the schemes we are promoting;
Oshwal Centre Refurbishment
- Middle Foyer £50,001
- Lower Foyer £50,001
- Upstairs Annex £101,000
- Downstairs Lobby/Foyer £151,000
- Lift £360,000 or blocks of £12,501
- General Donations £1,001 & above will have takti
We welcome all donations and encourage you to talk with your family and friends, group donations are also welcome.
West Area Property
- Main Hall No figure set as yet
- Lobby £ 20,000
- Kitchen £ 30,000
- Side room 1 £ 5,000
- Side room 2 £ 5,000
- Other Takti’s £ 10,000+ to be confirmed
- General Donations £ 1,001 & above will have takti
- Platinum Donor £50,001 Special Takti
- Gold Donor £25,001 Special Takti
- Lift - £35,000 Takti inside Lift
- £25,001 – We can place a takti inside dining area
- £20,000 – Trunk – Large Donor Board
- £15,000 – Large Donors Board
- £10,000 – Branch Large Donors Board
- £5,000 – Fruit – Donors Board
- £2,501 – Gold Leaf – Donors Board
- £1,501 – Silver Leaf – Donors Board
- £1,001 – Bronze Leaf – Donors Board
The message remains the same, £120 is a modest sum, effectively a pint of milk a day. If we all subscribe and support this scheme, who benefits? Our members! Our elders! Our children! I urge you to sign up today and make the commitment to support Oshwal Association. Is this too much to ask?
If you would like to discuss any specific donation you have in mind, please feel free to contact me or the fund raising committee and we will be more than pleased to arrange a time to meet with you.
All our regular events continue and I know that many of the local area activities are very popular indeed. Details of what is happening in all Oshwal areas and up and coming events can be found in this issue of Oshwal News.
I receive positive comments from so many members and all I can say is that everything we do be it at the centre or in the areas is a joint effort. The backbone of our association is our volunteers, without whom nothing would be possible.
I appreciate your support. Equally, I urge all members to talk about Oshwal, spread the message about what is good in our community. Encourage family to attend events, sign up for membership, subscribe to 120, donate to the various schemes. We really need your help with fund raising and we need it now. This Association is yours. It belongs to every Oshwal.
One Community – One Vision – One Voice
Raaxeet Harakhchand Shah
OAUK Hon. President
Back to Home page.
Oshwal News Articles
Current editions of Oshwal News are quite large files to download, so instead we have included key articles from each of the recent editions of Oshwal News magazines below for easy reference and downloading.
June 2013 Edition
- Viyan's Story (Childhood Cancer)
- Experience with Ovarian Cancer
- Gum Disease
- Breaktfast Time!
- Interview with Pujya Sadhvi Shilapiji Maharaj
- Sierra Leone Meidcal Camp
- Interview with Kavita Shah
- Life at City University
March 2013 Edition
October 2012 Edition
- What does equality mean within the Oshwal community?
- Foreign Language Learning as an Adults
- Dealing with loss in our community
August 2012 Edition
- Miracle of Life
- Summer Sun Safety
- Top 10 Exercises for Arthritis of Knee
- Life Coaching for Everyday Life
- Volunteer Teaching
June 2012 Edition
- 10 Minute Interview with Ashok Shah, Chief Investment Officer at London & Capital
- Are Eggs Suitable for Vegetarians?
- Charity Trustee Liabilities
- Get Fit for the Summer
- How to be a Savvy Employee?
- Summer Time - A Personal View
March 2012 Edition
- 10 Minute Interview with Bharat Shah, Sigma Pharmaceuticals
- Is it time to give Leather the Book?
- My Journey with Visual Impairment
- 10 Easy Steps for you to LOSE IT!
- My Experience with Vitamin D & Spice up your Life
January 2012 Edition
- 10 Minute Interview with Ritula Shah, BBC Radio Presenter
- The Partnership Act 1890
- Ahmisa - A Jewel in Jainism
- Oshwal Health Awareness Day 2011 Report
Quick Links to Area News
Oshwal Centre (Potters Bar)
Tel: +44 (0)1707 643 838 or email: email@example.com
Oshwal Mahajanwadi (Croydon)
Tel: +44 (0)20 8683 0258 of email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oshwal Ekta Centre (Kingsbury)
Tel: +44 (0)20 8206 1141 or email: email@example.com
For full contact details of all our Centres, click here.